Thursday 4 January 2018

The Orange Tree - Preliminary Sketch Of Work In Progress

The Orange Tree - WIP © Kate Lomax 2018

As artists, it is vital that we sketch, or doodle our ideas down.  Preferable in a sketch book, or, as in my case, if you think you can develop your sketch into a fully evolved painting, then work on the surface you prefer.  I have chosen 300 gsm watercolour paper because I move paint, so it needs to be able to take a bit of punishment.

The orange tree in question was gifted to me on New Year's Day.  By my daughter, as a beautiful birthday gift.  When she presented it to me, I heard the story of the journey from the nursery to her home, and then back to mine.  Shedding fruit en route, leaving orange scented debris wherever my daughter and her leafy new companion adventured. It is rather bushy you see. Slightly wider than a house door, definitely wider than a car door. 

As I listened, I smiled admiring the specimen absolutely laden with fruit.  

When I came to explore ideas for a painting, I could imagine my daughter, eyeing all of the potential gifts, and then spotting the abundant tree that she gifted to me.  I doodled away with the paint and realised that I had inadvertently created the look of a girl not unlike my daughter.  My point being is that when you sketch, you have to let your mind wander, and your hands communicate with your vision on an unconscious level.   I am not sure of the scene I have started.  I think it is my daughter visiting the nursery to select the tree.  I have found other images in there also.  An elderly gardener, maybe he cared for the tree prior to it's journey here.  Lavender, in the backdrop.  I guess there would have been many floral gifts on display over Christmas and New Year.  None of these things were in my mind as I painted.  Only the orange tree.
The subconscious is a really powerful tool.  You have to be uber relaxed to access it.  I am sitting here at 2.45 am.  I have been working in beautiful silence, apart from the dog's breathing.   

We all find our perfect time and conditions to access our inner most workings.  That, almost for sure, is when your work and ideas will be at their best.  

Paint those ideas out, or sketch them with charcoal in a sketch book.  The reason you ought to use charcoal is because if you then moisten your brush, it will become like ink and you can fine tune your sketches to look like mono paintings.

Have fun.  Do sketch. Do get lost in your daydreams.  You will, I am sure be impressed with your results! 



No comments:

Post a Comment