Saturday 30 December 2017

A Solent Sunset - Painting Process

A Solent Sunset © Kate Lomax 2017
As artist, we all get days when we have the urge to splish splash a little more freely than normal, and are not sure what to do with all of that creative energy.  
A very long time ago indeed, probably years, I decided that on those days, I would create backgrounds.  Not for anything in particular, just for stock.  So, tucked away, I have a number of ready to go backgrounds.  This cotton canvas on board, has been tucked away as a, 'ready to go', background.  Here it is, as it was when I fished it out of my stock drawer.

Background

Knowing that I had planned to paint a sunset, this was perfect.  I then focussed on my composition by using a grey charcoal to map it all out

Stage 1 - Composition

Making the best use of the colours on the canvas, I outlined what will be the Isle Of Wight in the distance, the ocean, the mid field waves, the near field waves and the foreshore.

Stage 2 - Palette

Stage 3 - Dropping In The Shadows

It is always vital to drop in the shadows before you get started.  Trying to paint them in after is a nightmare, and they wont look natural.  Put them in first, using a contrasting colour.  My choice was Red Oxide - Mussini. 

Stage 4 - Colour Map

Yep, at this stage it looks like you really cant make up your mind what colour to use.  Once they were on there, I blended with the softest brush I have, to make sure I keep the colour signatures.  Harsh brushes create mud! I created the purple from my palette.

Stage 5 - Start Blending - Add Waves

Adding waves is a joy for me.  I watch the sea quite a bit, even video it from time to time to study the wave patterns.  In the Solent we have a flow of water from Southampton end, and another from Portsmouth end, which come together in Lee On Solent, in the form of a cross current. Quite fascinating to watch.

Stage 6 - Keep Blending, Add More Waves

It is essential when you are painting water, that you capture movement, and the easiest way to illustrate movement is by creating waves.  Thankfully, in my neck of the woods, because of the cross current, the waves are plentiful.  They dance along the shore like a chorus line, taking turns to can - can with their frilly frocks along the beach.  With each wave comes the underwave spill, the water that collects in a pool along the shore.  This is when you are so grateful for the shadow you dropped in earlier!!  

A Reminder - The Shadow

Stage 7 - Final Touches

Finally, I have added my highlights, my white horses on the ocean, defined the Isle Of Wight In the distance, and added lights in the sky using additionally, Lemon Yellow & Alizarin Crimson.  I have used Mussini's indispensable transparent black, Asphaltlasurton on the foreshore.

I am so lucky to live right on the Solent.   The Solent is a channel between the mainland and the Isle Of Wight, which was also the resting place of The Mary Rose, until her discovery in the depths of the water just to the east of Lee On Solent. With Southampton Docks to the west, and Portsmouth Docks to the east, the Solent is a busy shipping channel.  The current swirls from Southampton end and Portsmouth end, so on a rough day, it can be extremely choppy.  On a good day you get the cross current forming all sorts of waves and surf.  In 2006/7, after a life change, I photographed the dusk,  every single day, to give myself something to look forward to.  The sunsets in the summer are stunning. However, in the winter, with the sun low in the sky from midday onward, on a clear day, it is a sight to behold.  Purples, reds, oranges, and yellows dance around the sky, and as the sun disappears beneath the horizon, she gives a final kiss to the ocean and everything that surrounds it.   

Do try a waterscape yourself.  It isn't that scary, as long as you do the shadows first!

If you find these tutorials helpful, please feel free to share on your art pages, and perhaps leave a comment.   Perhaps also subscribe to my blog so you are notified when I publish a fresh one! Just click the 'Subscribe' button in the right hand column.  Thank you.

Have fun! 

A Solent Sunset & Tutorial © Kate Lomax 2017 All Rights Reserved









No comments:

Post a Comment